Top of the list at almost every tapas bar, the patatas bravas is extremely easy to make – all you need are potatoes, oil and a frying pan. Patatas bravas are rich in taste and by far best when served with alioli or salsa brava.
- Wash and peel 4 large potatoes
- Cut the potatoes into cubes of approximately 2 cm
- Dry the potato cubes
- Heat a rich amount of oil in a deep bottomed frying pan or deep fryer
- Add the potatoes to the hot oil – beware of the hot oil!
- Cook until browned and crispy
- Add salt to taste
- Serve as is or accompanied by alioli or salsa brava
Although not technically recommended for frying, in TapasTips we tend to use olive oil for the taste. Other types of cooking oils can also be used.A word of warning: Be extremely careful when cooking with hot oil. The oil may splash or spill causing burns if not careful – especially if the potatoes are not dried well before added to the hot oil.